Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Belonging

Someone not to long ago asked me to define my sense of belonging. In that case, perhaps, purely in regard to why I didn’t belong to them. But regardless it is a subject I often end up thinking about. So here are some thoughts.

It is my belief now (after thinking and evolving this in my head for a number of years) that belonging can be thought of in two different ways. Both of which are slightly more complicated that the simple nationalistic model.

The first, less complicated one, is that you belong where family is. Family, of course, extending beyond your immediate family to a closely nit set of friends. Essentially, people that are going to look out for you no matter what happens. People with whom it doesn’t matter how much you mess up. They will still be there and be involved. They may not like you much, or make your life any easier. But they will always be there. Home is a fortress of people to protect you and give you solace from the world outside. You belong to the area around your family protecting that fortress of core people inside.

The second idea of belonging I have is the concept that the change or impact you have on a particular culture makes you part of that culture and societies structure. Becoming part of a culture is a direct result of the effect you have on that culture. Conversely, someone who has no effect on a culture, that they are part of, do not, in perspective of the culture, really exist.

My last thought has to do with ‘wandering’ between these different forms of belonging, societies, cultures and subcultures. I think that it is not only acceptable but desirable because then you become a bridge or a beckon. Both very important faces for any society to have.

No comments:

.